I recently saw a commercial for a popular, largely-feminine, soap product, which has started a campaign to target male consumers. The goal of the commercial was essentially to persuade men that if you have accomplished all the basics that are required of a man, including being "good at sports," "always looking cool," "getting a nice girl to marry you," "having three kids," etc, then you should be comfortable enough in life and in your manhood to use this soap product.
When I saw this commercial, which initially ran on Superbowl Sunday, I was left wondering: Is this the checklist that men need to go through to feel comfortable with their life? Is this what manhood looks like or should look like? I know I am bringing this rather superficial commercial to a deeper level, but this hit me pretty hard. Most of these steps or accomplishments don't define manhood, nor do they, alone, make a man. I think that manhood should be defined more by who the man is, how he loves, what he values, rather than a checklist of accomplishments. At least that is what I would search for in the man who could someday be my future husband. I will let you decide what you think. Here is the commercial:
Mackensey
2 comments:
Excellent points!
I thought the same thing when I saw that commercial.
Post a Comment