Last week the world was stunned by the loss of legends, such as Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett and Ed McMahon. One could not turn on a TV, flip through a magazine, or unfold a newspaper without being flooded with images, writings, and videos proving the influence and impact these lives had on millions of people. Along with this list of celebrities and famous faces the world lost another legend this past week: Father Thomas King, S.J.
Although Father King died at the age of 80, if you were to ask many of his Georgetown students and friends they would tell you they expected him to live forever. Even though Father King's picture isn't seen on every news channel this week, his influence on his students lives spans just as far as the legends listed above. The passion, yet unparalleled reverence he brought to his theological teaching and his vocation could be seen by all who knew him.
I was lucky enough to have Father King my first semester in college. He taught the intro level theology course at Georgetown, Problem of God. What I remember most from that first day of class was the presence he brought with him into a room. The class started at 10:15 and without fail he would show up at 10:14 and enter the class without a sound. Without demanding it, a silence would fill the room, not only because he rarely spoke above a whisper, but also because the class knew he alone was a Georgetown institution.
He enthralled the class with his teachings on Sartre, St. Augustine, CS Lewis, Bonhoeffer, and his all time favorite and what most of his writings are focused on, Teilhard de Chardin. He always challenged your thinking and wanted you to see all things theological from other points of view. His famous last lecture that he gives in every Problem of God course he teaches was probably his most profound. He connected the three sections of the course to the Trinity. Father King brought the imagination and joy that should be experienced in religious life. His 80 year life was a life worth living and emulating!
When I was told about the sudden death of this legend and my professor Father King, I was struck by a great sadness. I was not sad for him, because I know he is with his Savior probably running and laughing. I was sad because it reminded me of how I sometimes forget to live and embrace opportunities. His death struck me because all last year I had told myself, I need to go to Father King's 11:15 mass. But I never went. I always told myself there will always be next year. Now I am left with the feeling that I don't know that there will always be another year, another month, another week, or another day. His death is a reminder that everyday counts. Father King lived life as if everyday was his last and I will always remember him for that.
You will truly and deeply be missed Father King, not only by Georgetown but also by me. I thank the Lord for letting me be touched by his life.
Mackensey
1 comment:
He deserved his reputation, and will be missed. May he rest in peace.
Post a Comment